Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I survived

I know - I'm a big wuss. I've put off going to the dentist since 1995. I went briefly in 2005 for a cleaning, but that dentist had me getting like 8 fillings or something insane and was charging me an arm and a leg. I chickened out and never got them taken care of.

Even this year, Keds (who rumor has it may be blogging again soon - she's redone her formatting) made me an appointment that I had rescheduled not once but three times. They only found 3 cavities - all on the same side of my mouth. But cavities mean the drill. Drilling teeth hurt - and I don't trust Novocaine. But given that Newman had to endure a double hip replacement with nothing more than a local, I figured I could suck it up and survive it.

We got there, I was led back to the impending chair-o-doom. Clearly nervous the hygienist tried her best to assure me things would be OK. Then the dentist came in and tried to reassure me. What I will say about the dentist in Green Valley was at least he had TV screens to entertain me. First, the initial numbing gel. After a little bit came the Novocaine. My bottom gums didn't feel too numb when he came back to check on me, so he gave me a little more. Then came the drilling. After a few minutes, Keds came back to check on me and she stayed the rest of the time.
I think I was in the chair for less than an hour, and I survived. I'm not going to let this go on too long again. I can't freakin' stand the dentist.

3 comments:

LoraLoo said...

I too hate the dentist. My only real motivation for going is cause I think he's hot. LOL

Good for you - overcoming your fears and getting it done! You know the alternative to taking care of my teeth has always been a real motivator, too... let me know if you need the horror stories to make you feel better. :)

Cupcake Blonde said...

You and my husband both! He sweated through his clothes when he got a cleaning after over ten years of not going to the dentist and don't even get me started about when he got his wisdom teeth out. But I can't say too much because I am the same way about the lady doctor. I can't stand going to that one.

Teri said...

Yeah, it is not one of my favorite things to do. But because I have had to go so many times, I think I am over my fear. It is just dread at this point.