Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Families

Over the course of the last two weeks, a lot in our life has focused on family. Whether it's getting ready to start our own, dealing with the ones that live close by or visiting them in Florida and California, family seems to be a central theme in our life these days.

We are getting ready to start the adoption process. We have decided to work with a local agency because we want an infant. The initial interest form is nearly complete and ready to send in. While we are disappointed that a biological child is not in our future, we are excited to provide a loving home to children that might not have that opportunity otherwise. While the payoff is going to be great, we are not looking forward to the proctology exam we are about to endure.

One item that we are seriously working through is how to instill faith in our children's lives. As many of you know, we are an interfaith family. While we both agree that in theory all that matters is that our children have a strong moral compass and a solid faith foundation, we are working through the importance of "rights of passage." In addition, it is very important for us to show a united front with our children. Regardless of our choice, we will celebrate Hanukkah and Christmas, Passover and Easter. However, it will be present in a way that these are the holidays we celebrate and here is why they are important. It will NOT be presented as "this is what Mommy believes" and "this is what Daddy believes." We also agree that it is unfair to make a child choose between competing faiths. They will choose once they are an adult, but not before.

Speaking of holidays, about two weeks ago we went to LA to celebrate Passover with Keds' family. I enjoy these functions. We get to provide support for her Dad and get to see everyone. This year, we missed Uncle Larry and his clan. His daughters were with their Mom's family for Passover. While we missed seeing them, it actually made things a little easier. I really think they are starting to get to know Keds all over again, and it's neat to see the development. Oh, and Britta is an amazing cook. That alone is reason to attend family functions!

This past week was a trip to Florida. While we spent the most time in Orlando, we got a chance to - you guessed it - see some family. Our second night there, we had dinner with two of my cousins on my Dad's side. While there is a large age difference, we always have a good time when we get together. It's great to bounce things off of them as well and share stories.

On Saturday we headed to St. Pete to see Keds' sister, our nieces and nephew. We also got to meet our grandnephew. This was my first time meeting Keds' brother-in-law and the kids. The girls are amazing and David is growing up to be quite the young man. We saw David's PeeWee A Hockey Team, the Gulf Coast Flames, They won the game, which was awesome. We then had dinner with the whole clan before heading back to Orlando for the night.

Sunday we were off to Ft. Myers to see the rest of my Dad's side of the family. Yes, I realize we were halfway to Ft. Myers when we were in St. Pete - I never said we were good planners. Dinner with my uncle and cousins was great. They have definitely taken a liking to Keds, especially my cousins two girls. We definitely don't see each other often enough. Monday we spent some time with my uncle and his girlfriend before heading back to Orlando to catch our flight home.

As I mentioned, I've been thinking about family quite a bit. We really do need to get back to Buffalo. My aunt is going to celebrate her 70th birthday this summer, and it's been three years since I've seen my cousins. I was reading my cousin Therese's MySpace page, where she mentions her siblings that have moved away and Grampy. I miss them all so much.

Anyhoo, I'm really just rambling now. A life update and thoughtful blog post all in one! How's that for blog value?

6 comments:

Jennifer B said...

Sounds great. I love family (including our adopted family). =) There is something about being around people who were there to see you go through all of your weird phases and still love you anyway. I am so glad you guys had a wonderful time!!

Cupcake Blonde said...

Posts like this make me miss my family. Luckily my parents are coming to visit in June, but we need to make a much-overdue trip back to Beantown sometime soon.

Your trips sound like such fun! And I hope the adoption process is going well so far.

Fred said...

Chances are one of my two daughters cut you off in traffic over in St. Pete. They're always on that side of Tampa Bay hanging out at the beaches.

Best of luck with the adoption process. My goddaughter was adopted from China, and she has been such a blessing in my life.

Ken said...

Jennifer - You are too sweet. Agreed - there is something comforting about spending time with people who love you without judgment.

Princess - The trip was fun. There is something about going and seeing family, plus doing all the things you used to do that makes it worthwhile.

Fred - Too funny. We can't wait to be parents.

Fred said...

I think I fixed the pictures on my latest post. Try it again and hopefully it'll work this time!

Matt Guerino said...

Good for you for adopting!! You've got an amazing opportunity to give a real life to a kid who might not otherwise have one - that's awesome.

I think you're thinking well on the faith element in your home too. I have no doubt you'll do well, and find your children a huge blessing. Mine "baby" is about to turn 8, and I wouldn't trade him or his older sister for the world.