Monday, June 23, 2008

Life Updates

Whew. It was nice to take a little bit of a breather on Sunday. It’s been a crazy little stretch for the Kraft clan, but we seem to be weathering it nicely.

After a quick trip to LA the previous weekend for Elizabeth’s wedding reception, we managed to spend Father’s Day with both of our Dad’s which was nice. Keds had a random illness pop up on Monday – including a 103 degree fever. That curtailed our activities through Thursday. Unfortunately, it also meant we needed to cancel dinner plans with our friends Vegas Princess and her husband Charming, her folks and my parents. We tried to make it up, but more on that later.

Thursday was a really tough day. It appears that my new company likes to have “cutting the fat” exercise about once a quarter to twice a year. It started with the VP who hired me getting let go first thing in the morning. Having just started, and losing my last job in a “financial restructuring,” I did get a little nervous. OK, I was a lot nervous; especially when two people that I worked closely with were let go. But in the end, it looks like there was a strategy to cuts and there will be some good things that come out of this. We seem to be banding together as a division and are focused on service our customers.

Friday was highlighted both with a night out at the 51s game and getting out of work early. We were all ordered to leave at 3:30 as our office was being sprayed for bugs. From there, Keds and swung by and grabbed Dad then picked Mom up from work before heading to Cashman. Our plan was to try and watch the game with Princess, Charming and their families, but we weren’t able to get tickets close to them. Plus, it was like 100 degrees in the shade and the 51s got their butts kicked.

Saturday was a little crazy. First, I went canvassing for Dina Titus and Andrew Martin as part of the coordinated campaign. I was paired with a relatively pessimistic retiree, and knocking on doors in 100 degree heat was not all that fun. But we were able to leave some literature and spoke to some people who had never heard of Andrew, which was pretty cool. The lunch afterwards was pleasant, but it was reinforced that I need to keep my mouth shut when I start listening to idiot conspiracy theorists. After babysitting my favorite toddlers for 30 minutes (OK, they were both napping), Keds and I got ready for a dinner party at our favorite loan officer’s house.

Mind you, prior to last week we hadn’t received the invitation, and if I had checked our mail it may have been in there, but we were both a little miffed when we realized the point of the evening was not exactly as advertised. It was billed as a birthday party for our friend’s boyfriend to be catered by a professional chef. Turns out, it was actually a financial planner’s marketing event. At first, I was really annoyed and felt like we had been duped (I’m sure Princess knows how this feels J), but it ended up being a nice evening. The Financial Planner actually didn’t even try and push his services on us. We happened to have a couple of questions, and he answered them. We may end up using him for somethings in an effort to diversify. Also, our current guy, while good, is in LA so any deposits need to be mailed to him. Plus, since he was Leni’s guy, my concern is that he is almost like an uncle, and not in the good way – especially with money. Plus, we made friends with the field manager and his girlfriend, and the financial planner’s wife is actually a Registered Dietician. So, it ended up being a productive evening.

Sunday was much more laid back. The lesson learned, though, was to keep an eye on the pool temperature. No matter what the temperature, 96 degrees is not refreshing. Mom made stew meat and gravy for dinner which was uber-yummy. But it ended up being a much-needed relaxing day. Plus, the A’s won, which made it even better!

So what’s new with you?

8 comments:

Kyria said...

oh, you know... PACKING. Still.

Hehehehe


See you in two weeks!

Fred said...

Not much new here. Sleeping in late, playing Wii with the girls until 3 a.m. and doing all the things on my list. The problem with the list thing is that The Missus seems to add two things for every one I complete.

Ken said...

Kyria - We are so excited to see you guys! Plus, I have a feeling you will be packing until the day you leave...

Fred - I'm a little jealous. Not for the list, but being able to sleep. I miss sleep.

Cupcake Blonde said...

Trying to recover from my "vacation." Entertaining people is tiring!

It was so great to see you guys at the game! I wish we could have spent more time and chatted more, but, not really the perfect place for conversation. :)

And you had me laughing out loud at your duped comment because that is the first thing I thought of!!!

Ken said...

Princess - Yeah. Having house guests is tiring, and you need time to recover. It's too bad it was so damn hot at the game. Had it been just a little bit earlier, I would have suggested going to the Brew Pub at Main Street Station so we could have hung out for a bit. But that didn't work out. Glad you got a laugh about the "not as advertised" party!

Jennifer B said...

OK ~ that is really funny about the "party" (Amy you know why=) Thanks again for watching the kids. Much easier that way. It's cool you are doing the political thing. It should be interesting to hear what you heard. =)

Martin said...

Sounds like you've both been really busy. Sorry to hear that Keds was sick. B(

Ken said...

Jennifer - Oh, I'll fill you in.

Martin - Yeah, but thankfully it is settling down!