Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Corporate fire drills

Over the course of the last few days, I've run into more than my share of corporate fire drills. For the most part, people were running around for no real reason. One person was freaking out because our COO asked a simple question. Others were panicking because of other silly little issues. And of course, people had to call my cell phone without leaving a voicemail on my landline.

I guess that's what really bothers me. Once upon a time, cell phones were for emergencies. In today's day and age, this is less and less the case. However, I pay for my cell phone out of my own pocket and the company only reimburses for $50 a month. I use my cell for personal reasons too, but since when did mundane details like how to respond to a simple request become life and death?

3 comments:

Teri said...

Yeah, well we are at the age where a lot of people I know only have cell phones now. How did we survive without them?

New White Keds said...

I am slowly but surely learning how to "forget" my cell phone at home when I go out. Amazing how that works. Funny, how when we are not available people figure out what to do without us.

Kind of like vinyl records, cell phones are the CD of our age.

LoraLoo said...

Convenience is certainly King. Convenience includes caller ID on the cell phone; when the number which appears is not important, Lora does not answer. Which brings me to the next convenience - voicemail. Leave a message, and when it's important, I'll call you back. :)