Monday, June 05, 2006

Sports and Old TV Shows

As we move into what a former boss once called the void between the end of hockey and the beginning of football (clearly not a baseball fan), I have a couple of observations.

First, I am very, very proud of this year's Buffalo Sabres. For a team that wasn't supposed to do much of anything much less make it to the Conference Finals. In the end, they had too many injuries to their defensemen and frankly looked tired. Oh, and that delay of game penalty that led to go-ahead goal was a little lame, but oh well.

Second, now that all is left of hockey are the Stanley Cup finals, time to turn my attention to baseball full-board. It's time to vote for the starters in the MLB All Star game. Now, I'm all for making sure the best players get in, but I'm sick of the starting line up look like the best of the Yankees and Red Sox lineups, so I'm asking all of you in Blog-land to vote. Specifically, for Eric Chavez and Nick Swisher of the Oakland A's. Both are off to the best starts ever. You may have to write-in Nick as an outfielder, but Chavez in the Third Baseman. You can access the ballot from mlb.com.

Finally, on a completely different topic, TV Land ran a 48 hour Benson marathon. I remember loving that show as a kid. Not so much now. I mean, I appreciate that the butler from Soap was able to work himself up to Lt. Governor, but still. Are there any shows you used to watch that aren't quite what you remembered them to be?

5 comments:

Cupcake Blonde said...

I caught a couple episodes of Silver Spoons the other night and I used to LOVE that show. I guess I never realized how silly it really was. Kinda left me feeling empty. This has happened with movies I have reseen lately that I remember loving as a kid. They are not quite as good as before.

New White Keds said...

I think we tend to romanticize the past in our memories, which makes being let down when we re-visit it very easy. I hated Saved by the Bell when it did its first run -- now I find it mindless entertainment that I enjoy from time to time.

LoraLoo said...

Benson? I loved that show.

SOAP was so damn funny. I remember in the beginning times for Comedy Central, they played that in sequence. With age I appreciated the humor much better than when it originally aired!

Ken said...

Amanda - Admit it, you used to like it because you thought Ricky Schroeder was cute. But I know what you mean.

Saniyya - I don't know if that makes you a dirty old woman or a teenager at heart still...

NWK - I totally agree.

Lora - OMG. I thought Soap was funny as a kid, but as an adult I think it's hilarious. The same goes for a lot of other shows/movies that I watch now. Now that we are older, we actually get the humor...

Teri said...

I watched about 3 minutes of a Benson episode the other day. Yes, I use to love it back in the day. I have to say that Happy Days doesn't have the appeal that it once did for me. I use to think The Fonze was so cool, now, not so much.