Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The A's Win the Pennant

OK. So it wasn't Bobby Thomson's epic shot to win the 1951 National League pennant for the New York Giants, but I'll take it. Their 12-3 victory over Seattle combined with the Los Angeles Angels of Canoga Park's loss to Texas handed to A's their first division title and playoff appearance since 2003. This year's division winners were not without their own drama. Instead of winning one more game while the Angels were in Oakland, and after blowing a 9-3 lead in Seattle on Monday night, they were finally able to close the deal. They can now rest some of their starters for the playoffs. Maybe this is the year they get out of the Division Series.

In other sports news, it is encouraging to see the Buffalo Sabres are pre-season picks to advance far in the Stanley Cup playoffs. If only these predictions held true. I like it better when my teams defy expectations and "over-achieve."

The Bills lost this weekend to the Jets. My sister and her husband made it to the game. Got a sweatheart deal on tickets thanks to her best friend's husband. Seventeen rows up from the 40 yard line. I didn't catch the game, but it looked competitive, save the three turnover differential.

I'm trying to make heads or tails out of this Terrell Owens drama. I'm not sure if it is a publicity stunt or what. He's just one emotionally damaged man, that's for sure.

Anyway, Go A's, looking forward to hockey season and the Bills play Minnesota this weekend.

4 comments:

LoraLoo said...

I'll admit I'm a bit biased as a Cowboys fan... but I've seen the aftermath of someone attempting to overdose on pills. That was not the image of T.O. today.

Media running with this? That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

Ken said...

Lora, I tend to agree that this is probably an accidental overdose or an allergic reaction that has gotten blown out of proportion mostly because it's TO. People now look for drama with him.

However, I find it interesting that this mostly seems to happen to Dallas Cowboys. Isn't Michael Irvin still on some sort of suspended sentence?

Fred said...

Once again, Terrell steps in it. The guy is a nut job. Jerry Jones bought himself a drama queen when he signed him.

LoraLoo said...

Ouch, Ken - that was definitely below the belt. But I do understand your bitterness, something about the years 1993 and 1994 come to mind...

(ducking for cover)