Friday, September 08, 2006

Pre-Weekend Mish-Mosh

Here it is Friday night. I'm taking Amy to Paymon's Mediterranean Cafe tonight for dinner. She doesn't know it yet, and she won't get a chance to check blogs before dinner so she'll be pleasantly surprised (I hope).

This was something of a rough week. The reality of the situation is starting to set in, and with Amy's impending surgery on Tuesday it's getting a little bit more real. Oh yeah - and I was dumb enough to read the death certificate with the time of death on it too. I'm still glad we weren't in the room as things went south, but we were really just there maybe 30 minutes before to be honest.

Wedding invitation responses are starting to trickle in. Most of my family won't be able to make it in for the wedding. Too expensive or work commitments. My Mom's siblings will be here and at least one cousin on that side will make it, which will be nice.

My Dad's brother had his travel arrangements all set and now he won't be able to make it. It's a little sad - he is my Godfather and all, but I figure it must be really important because he was definitely looking forward to the wedding. I'm not sure if any cousins on that side will make it - we've gotten one formal decline, one verbal decline and one "we might make it." I suspect the one I haven't heard from yet is probably not going to make it either.

As we expected, the brunt of the issues are emanating from Amy's family. The "grapevine" is telling us that at least two cousins are "pissed" that we are having a no kids wedding. We've gotten their declines already. It's making Amy very sad because she is afraid she will be persona non grata in her family and she's hurting. I want to fix it, but no that I can't. Ultimately, playing the "what if" game isn't going to get us very far.

The person originally slated to be my best man is not going to be able to make the wedding. My feelings are hurt, and we had several looooooooong talks about it. In the end, I can't expend the energy being upset. Too much other stuff is going on and ultimately, it's not going to change the end result.

I guess my real feeling is that there are only five people that need to be there - the officiant, two witnesses and Amy and I. Everyone else is gravy and if they aren't going to be there, they are going to miss one hell of a party!

This weekend should be pretty uneventful. We have friends coming over for dinner on Saturday night. Hopefully the pool will be warm enough (it was 78 a few minutes ago, and I just pulled the cover back on) to go in. The moral of that story is don't leave the solar cover off for 5 days especially when it gets windy and rainy. Sunday is the return of football. Amy and I are picking Dad up at 8:30 so we get a good seat at the bar! GO BILLS!

5 comments:

New White Keds said...

It is funny. People keep reminding me that the only thing that matters is thatI am marrying you. What is funny about it, is that I KNOW that. Nothing can fix or change everything that is happening,but in the end if I am Mrs. Kraft, I will be good to go.

LoraLoo said...

Ultimately you can't make everyone happy - so those who are pissed about the no kids issue, oh well. It's all going to turn out in the end, no matter what's happening in the meantime. :)

Cupcake Blonde said...

Ahhh, wedding fun! I have said time and time again if I had to do it all over again it would be me and my husband in a little church with our parents, that's it! The grief I got from people about no kids (which I relinquished per my mother's request since I have a lot of little cousins) and no guest if I didn't know them was horrendous. Just keep remembering it is YOUR day so do it how you want. I have a friend having similar problems and am so glad to be done with all that!

Fred said...

Only two people in this story need to be happy.

When they see how happy you are, they'll all wish they did it your way.

Ken said...

Keds - I love you so much. I can't wait until you are Mrs. Kraft either.

Lora - My thoughts exactly

VP - All told, this hasn't been a horrible experience. Besides, it's going to be one hell of a party!

Fred - In the immortal words of Fonzie "exactamundo"