Monday, December 18, 2006

Hanukkah 2006

Well, it's here. The Festival of Lights. I'll admit that I slightly overlooked Hanukkah last year since it started at the same time as Christmas. Then there was a slight miscommunication between Amy and I over gifts for Hanukkah. So I was left to pull something substantial together at the last minute that we would exchange with her Dad on Saturday.

Since there was a break between Hanukkah and Christmas this year, we decided to go to LA for her family's Hanukkah party. This was my first real family function. Her cousin's wedding in July really doesn't count, because everyone was sort of split up. We flew in on Friday and finished up some last minute shopping.

Saturday was crazy. We were staying in the Valley. We needed to wrap gifts. So Amy got up early and wrapped gifts. We headed to a friend's house in the city for brunch and gifts. We can never spend too much time with these folks. They are among our favorite people. Then, we dashed back to the hotel to meet up with her Dad to have our own private Hanukkah with him. That was nice. Amy loved her gifts from her Dad and I, and mine were awesome. We got Hal a digital camera and photo printer. Then off to Ventura (about an hour away) for the Kaltman Family Hanukkah party. That ended up being a lot of fun. We spend some time with her aunts, uncles, cousins and their kids. I practiced the Hebrew prayers so as to not embarrass myself. However, they had the kids do it and I was off the hook.

Sunday was nuts. Went to a friend's house in the Valley for her son's second birthday party. I think my ears are still ringing. I talked to her friend's Dad most of time. They said they were trying to save me, but I was enjoying myself. Then off to her Mom's house to meet with a doll merchant. That was rough. Finally, we headed out to lunch and then off to the airport.

We are having friends over tomorrow for dinner, latkes and candles. It should be a good time.

I should excuse myself so that I can get back to work on my Hebrew. Baruch atah Adonai, Eloheinu melech ha-olam...

6 comments:

Cupcake Blonde said...

Sounds like a great, if hectic, trip!!

Can't wait to see you guys on Wednesday! And I promise, I won't make you say any Hebrew. :)

New White Keds said...

You practiced Hebrew! If I had but only known, that would have been a sufficient gift in and of itself. You are the light in my menorah.

LoraLoo said...

I got kinda dizzy reading about your trip. You're going to need a vacation! heheh

Ken said...

Princess - Yep. Hectic. Typically for our LA trips. Sorry we couldn't meet up. Hope you feel better!

Keds - You are the light on my Christmas Tree

Lora - Yeah. Dizzy. That's a good word for it. I usually need a break after an LA trip.

Fred said...

Happy Hanukkah, Ken.

Now, slow down!

Jenny said...

Dude, you and I need to get together and practice Hebrew together.