Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Holidays

I love the Holidays, but I hate them.

Things I love:
  • Holiday cheer - people are generally nicer and most, well, humane
  • Gingerbread Lattes at Starbucks (although they don't seem as yummy as in the past)
  • Spending time with friends and family. This is mine and Amy's first Christmas together married, and our first in the new house. That's exciting to me.
  • Giving a gift so perfect that it makes the recipient cry (in the good way.)

Things I hate:

  • Holiday shopping. I usually do OK deciding what to get people, but when I can't figure it out, I can't stand walking around stores looking for things.
  • The Mall. While people are happier this time of year, they are absolutely miserable while hunting people down for parking spaces, fighting over this year's "must have" toy and the like.
  • Holiday cards. I like receiving them, and sending them, but I always put it off until too late.
  • Holiday decorating. Too much effort for two weeks worth of enjoyment.

Anyway, I'm mostly glad the holidays are here. If for no other reason that I get to spend more time with Amy!

4 comments:

Fred said...

We've cut back on the decorating as each year goes by. I no longer put lights on the house, just the bushes and trees. Much easier and quicker. Also, we don't put as many things in the house.

As far as the shopping thing, you know my theory there. The internet!

Cupcake Blonde said...

Oh you just summed up all my gripes in one conveinant post! It seems many people are starting to feel the same way this year. Perhaps a sign that the holidays are becoming too much of a hassle because we have forgotten what is really important? Spending time with loved ones and spreading cheer.

Ken said...

Fred: I am totally with you on the Internet thing. However, I think I'm paying as much in shipping charges as in the actual products! It's one thing when the shipping charges were less than sales tax. However, most places are now charging both!

Princess: Agree 100%!

Teri said...

I am in the same boat with the holiday decorations. I don't have the energy to get them put up. The longer it is taking me to do it, the less I want to put them up. It is for the same reason of not being worth it for 2 weeks worth of enjoyment.