Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Rocket Scientists All...

Today's blog post has two separate rants with the common theme being sometimes the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top.

First, I'll rant about our mailman. As many of you know, we spent most of February in California and as such, put a hold on our mail. The day after we got back, Keds went to the post office to pick up our held mail. She only got a little bit of mail. That night, we checked our mailbox and we found a note that our mailbox was full. So I trot off to the post office the next day to find that yes indeed, there was quite a bit of mail.

However, the problems didn't seem to stop there. Word is that Keds was sent two invitations that we have yet to receive and I'm waiting on an IRA application. The mystery deepened this past weekend when we received two pieces of mail (one a People Magazine that should have been delivered before the Oscars) that had a label indicating there was no forward on file. That's odd considering we aren't forward our mail FROM here, just from our previous addresses TO here.

So I trucked into the post office yesterday afternoon. There was a line out the door at 3 p.m. Ugh. I get to the window and initially the dude at the window tells me "everything is fine." Then he goes in the back and finds my Letter Carrier. Awesome. Some real answers. Except that it turns out that 1. he only processed the hold on my last name, not the whole address (which explains the full mailbox). 2. He thought that I had placed a forward on the address (which I hadn't) so he was sending it out to be forwarded. Since we spoke, he was going to stop that and I'll start getting all of our mail. The only problem is that all of the mail that should have been delivered will now need to come back slowly as it wasn't on site. Brilliant!

My second rant has to deal with the NCAA Touranment Seedings. First, let's deal with UNLV. How a team that is among the hottest in the nation, contended all year in their conference and withstood substantial injuries can be a 7 seed is beyond me. Talk about lack of respect. Even more disrespectful was putting the Niagara Purple Eagles into the "play-in" game for the right to meet #1 seed Kansas. That's downright infuriating. The explanation was weak - Niagara hadn't won their conference regular season (but still managed to get 22 wins) and they they were trying to be sensitive to historically African-American universities. If that's the case, why don't they put Duke or Syracuse or some other power-conference school in the play-in game?

Sorry for the ranting, but something you have to wonder how some people's mind works...

4 comments:

LoraLoo said...

It sounds like your postman is hitting the sauce...LOL

Thanks for the props to my UNLV Running Rebels! It would be nice to see them at the top again, even if I don't like basketball.

Cupcake Blonde said...

Wow, what a mess. Hopefully you'll get everything from now on.

And I get testy because my EW always comes on Monday instead of on Fridays when I used to get it back East...

Martin said...

I always figured that a forward takes care of everything but after your runaround I now know that I need to quiz them.

I was a little shocked at seeing UNLV facing the #2 in the second round. But what I find funnier than the seeding is that UNLV is in the Midwest bracket with Maryland, Florida and Georgia Tech. BYU, Long Beach and Nevada are in the South bracket. New Mexico is in the East bracket. They really don't teach Geography as a class in college anymore.

Ken said...

Lora - I give credit when credit is due. I truly think it's the result of not enough playtime on ESPN. As CSTV and theMtn become more available, more people will see the good action in the Mountain West.

Princess - It appears that we are starting to get everything, but we are clearing out the backlog.

Martin - I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out why which teams got seeded in which bracket.