Monday, October 17, 2005

Family building

As Amy and I move forward in our relationship, we are starting to build our own "family." However, the question comes, after being single how do you begin to assert your own "family" or "coupleness" with others? As an example, is it best to decide items for ourselves, and inform others such as our parents of those decisions? Or is it better to continue to include people in our decision making process? I know that people are just trying to give us the benefit of their years of experience and they are only providing input because they love us.

This being said, how is it appropriate to assert our independence in these matters without pissing people off?

4 comments:

Teri said...

Sad, to say it is a no win situation most of the time. I think it all falls in how you word things...

LoraLoo said...

Teri is right, wording is definitely the key. That being said... decisions are ultimately between the two of you, period. Input is welcome, of course (and everyone always has an opinion, you'll learn if you haven't already). It's not an easy transition becoming your own family unit, it takes some getting used to; but you do get used to it and those around you will too.

Ken said...

Teri and Lora - thanks for the feedback. I also spoke to my sister today who is going through the same thing. Bottom line is that I need trust Amy when it comes to interacting with her mother. It's gotten her this far. Positioning is going to be the key. I guess I'm going to have to put my "client communication" skills to work. Ugh.

Kyria said...

I don't know. I think it can be more simple than that. Just do what you want. It's not like most people would challenge you. If you did receive negative feedback abour a particular decision, or even just questions about how it came about, you can simply respond with "we thought it was the best course of action for our future/relationship" Most people have gone through something similar.