Friday, January 05, 2007

Anger Issues

OK. I admit it. I'm dealing with some residual anger issues. And for some reason, they are almost all directed at the Dallas Cowboys. Why do I seem to hate them so much more this year? I'll admit to not being a fan. Having "your team" lose two consecutive Super Bowls to them will do that to you. But it's not like they've been some powerhouse dynasty or, gasp, the New York Yankees.

I could say that I just can't stand Jerry Jones. I can't, but in a "take it or leave it" way. That man is clearly dealing with some residual childhood issues.

I could say that not only did this team beat my team in two consecutive Super Bowls, but the current head coach was the NY Giants head coach that beat my team in their first of four consecutive appearances. But I don't really think it is. Or maybe it was because they signed Drew Bledsoe (aka Frankenstein)? Maybe.

My best guy friend is a huge fan. One of Keds' best friends is a huge fan. My brother-in-law is a die hard fan. I'm surrounded by people I care about who are fans of the Cowboys. So why do I hate them so much, especially this year.

As I sit here and think about it, I think it comes down to having learn to interact with my sister around the Cowboys schedule. They won't travel on Thanksgiving Day because it will disrupt the pre-game routine. Christmas Day plans HAD to be tailored so my sister wouldn't deal with an overanxious husband. I'm really thinking that is it. I know it's not a good reason, but it's why. I think I just don't like planning my life around 1 team anymore. I'm a huge sports fan, and ardently support my teams. But I don't hold my life hostage.

So for my friends out there that are Cowboys fans, I'm sorry. However, I think we'll just have to ride this one out. Go Seahawks!

4 comments:

Cupcake Blonde said...

Well, I hate the Cowboys too...but only because I was raised to be nothing but a Patriots fan and if I so much as even look at another team I am no longer allowed back inot the state of Massachusetts.

And don't even get me started on the dreaded Y word you mentioned in this post as well... :)

LoraLoo said...

Ouch. Ouch, Ouch Ouch!!

But I agree, there's no need to plan your whole life around football games. If that were the case, I'd never had a child, that's for sure. I can't remember the last time I saw a whole football game uninterruped. I think it was the winter of 2003.

Cupcake Blonde said...

You must be pretty happy after last night's, well I guess you could call the end of that thing that happened a game, game. :)

Ken said...

Princess - My brother in law was born in Dallas, but went to high school in New Hampshire, and loathes the Patriots. But he's at least an ardent Red Sox fan.

Lora - Nothing personal. Now that the season is over, I'll get a chance to get over my anger by next season.