Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Math is not my friend anymore

You would think getting solar heat for the pool, a spa and a laptop for Keds four months ago would satisfy my appetite for a new toy for a while. But no. It's just simply isn't true. Now, I've recently become obsessed with a old-new toy - DirecTV.

Keds and I have gone back and forth on this several times. I had DirecTV when I had my own townhouse. I suspended service for the three months or so we lived in her townhouse. When we moved into our new house it was going to be a discussion point. But, at the time the DirecTV HD Receiver with DVR service was simply too expensive. At like $300 or $400 I couldn't justify the expense. We got more for our money with cable, plain and simple.

Well, now the HD Receiver with DVR is much more reasonable ($199 online). With the Sports Pack I can watch most of the games of my beloved Oakland A's and there is a possibility that we could order the NFL package. These are just things that cable can't offer. They are offering three free months of HBO, Cinemax and Showtime. I figure this has got to beat cable's price.

After the math is said and done, it's a wash. We must be getting some killer deal on the Cinemax, HBO and Showtime, because we are paying much lower than what Cox is showing on their website.

I may hold out and see what sort of deal they offer when the NFL Sunday Ticket comes back, usually in July. That's really only another month.

5 comments:

New White Keds said...

No ugly dish on my pretty "new" house! (oops! I mean our pretty new house)I caved and we put the ugly solar panels up on the roof -- NO DISH!!!!

But we can discuss...

Anonymous said...

We have dish and I love it!!! We have two on the house and you would never notice. :)

Janell

Cupcake Blonde said...

You boys and your toys...Charming is the same way.

LoraLoo said...

Amy... don't hit me for this...

I say get the dish if you want it. It's the guy side of me that thinks having all that sports in one place kicks ASS!

Besides, you'll be at home instead of hanging out at the bar.

Amy - seriously, put the brick down! :)

Martin said...

I don't know if I would go back to cable. Prior to my getting my DirecTV HD DVR, I had my Tivo in my bedroom. I find that it helps having a second recorder because networks are dumb and put great shows up against each other during May sweeps keeping you from watching one of them. Anyhow, before biting the bullet on the DVR, I had been talking to a friend of mine at work that has both Cox and DirecTV (with each of their DVRs and a Tivo in the kids room.) Yes, he's show obsessed. Anyhow, he finds that he can't get rid of his Tivo or DirecTV DVR because it helps cover for the shows that the Cox DVR decides not to record. I say 'decides' because he often goes to watch a show and sees that it didn't record it and didn't record anything during that time. Maybe it's a coffee break that needs to be reset on that version. These 'missing shows' decided a lot for me. When you miss shows, you have to start searching for them using BitTorrent which is a lot less fun.

May you both come to a welcome compromise.