Friday, August 19, 2005

Adjusting...

For the past eight years, I've been out here in the desert pretty much on my own. I had to build my own support network pretty much from scratch. It took some work, but I got there. I have an fantastic girlfriend, great friends and a job that lets me work from home whenever I want.

For those that read the blog, you know that my folks arrived at my house safe and sound yesterday. I was very relieved that they made it here. However, now the reality of having Mom and Dad live with you begins to set in. The first adjustment is that I lose my office. Normally, this wouldn't have been a big deal, but I've gotten accustomed to working out of the house at least three days a week. Plus, my Dad didn't want to come out with us last night for Ice Cream. To be fair, we didn't tell him we were going for Ice Cream, but he was still anti-social and wouldn't go, even though I was paying. He probably wouldn't have been happy there anyhow - the don't carry Maple Walnut...

My Dad is very set in his ways. He is very much a "Meat and Potatoes" type of person, except he will eat Italian food. Amy mentioned making Chinese food at home, and he immediately turned his nose up at it. I really want to take them for Mexican food, but my Dad refuses to go. Mom really wants to try it. I even tried showing him a menu once showing that real Mexican restaurants (other than Mighty Taco and Taco Bell) serve steak, chicken, pork and fish. The problem is that it is served with Rice and Beans...I think I am going to have to trick him somehow.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't stress out over your Dad's preferences ( social, food likes, etc). Keep doing what you enjoy. It's nice that your Mom is more agreeable to your likes. Go with that.

New White Keds said...

The adjustments will take time. I think they will see how far you have come on your own and what a great man you have turned out to be (though I may be biased) and things will prgoress from there.

Surely make foods your dad will like, and if he does not want to go for Mexican, then Mom gets a special night out. There are always ways to handle these things, you just have to be willing to be a little flexible, yourself.

Teri said...

I am so happy that they made it here safe and sound.

You should be use to you dad by now and his ways.. If he doesn't want to go somewhere to eat, then he loses out. Mom on the other hand will have a great time adjusting to her new life here with you and Amy!