Saturday, August 06, 2005

House of Blues is something of a truism

Went to my first concert in years last night. Amy and I had free tickets to see Howie Day with Anna Nalick and someone else (I can't remember her name) at the House of Blues last night. We had no particular interest in any artist. I only know one Anna Nalick song (Breathe) and one Howie Day song (Collide). Amy's friends Shawn and George met us out. George has been following Howie Day for years, and well, Shawn just wanted to meet us out.

If you've ever seen a concert at the House of Blues Las Vegas, it's a horrible place to see a concert. It's a small venue, which is OK depending on the show, but either you are standing on the floor (and in our case right in front of a speaker) or in the balcony where you can't see anything of interest. We were on our feet for over three hours. By the end of the night, I couldn't feel my right foot and Amy's legs were killing her.

This being said, we enjoyed the performers. The opening act was a little acoustic set. She was Australian and kind of angry, but that's OK. Anna Nalick was GREAT. In her words, she had a "pirate ballerina" thing going on. She was very interactive with the crowd, and was a decent on stage performer. Howie Day was good too. I wouldn't buy his CD, but maybe go see him in concert again at a different venue. The thing I thought was funny is that while there was plenty of bottled water for the performers, the keyboard player had two bottles of Heinekein that he was working on! Good for him.

I also felt kind of old at the concert. We were standing next to this couple who was 16! I am twice their age. I guess it's time to start getting used to that.

On the Mom and Dad front, Mom spoke with one of her tenants yesterday, and he said he thought they could possibly be out by September 15th. This is welcome news. While I'm happy to have them stay with me until their place is vacated, they really want to get into their own place and start making it their home. Plus, this way they'll get all their stuff.

I'm meeting Amy's best friend from college today. I'm looking forward to this. We are going to breakfast. Blueberry Hill I think. Yum. Best Blueberry Pancakes outside of my Mom's. After that, we are going to buy baseball tickets for our group outing next Friday and then go look at houses.

That's all for now...

2 comments:

New White Keds said...

How could a time that was so physically miserable have been so enjoyable? Perhaps it is age or wisdom that allows us to look past the physical to see the true beauty therein. Sounds to me like we had a very similar experience, one that I would not change for anything. Age-- now THAT is something I would trade. Knowledge and wisom is another story. What do you think? If you could give up any part of it: age, knowledge, wisdom... would you?

Anonymous said...

Kenny --

How's Minx?

Mickey