Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The great gym debate

Noooo....Not whether you should go to the gym or not, but are you better off going to a place that is a high-glamour serious workout place with lots of beautiful people or a low-key type place where you can go in, do your thing and get on with your life. If you saw the movie Dodgeball, it's like the rivalry between Average Joe's Gym and GloboGym.

I actually belong to both (nooo....not the places in the movie). I have memberships to both 24HourFitness and Las Vegas Athletic Club (LVAC). Trust me - there are reasons which are perfectly valid, at least to me.

24Hour is a lot like Average Joe's - basically a neighborhood gym and some have nice bells and whistles like pools and basketball courts. LVAC is more like GloboGym. This is a little surprising, since while LVAC makes you sign a contract, it's actually cheaper to belong to LVAC on a monthly basis. I generally prefer going to LVAC. It's cleaner, and there is enough equipment that I don't end up standing around waiting to do an exercise.

I was finally able to check out the new LVAC on Rainbow and Lake Mead. Holy crap that place is huge! It makes the club in Green Valley look tiny. I'll admit that I was even intimidated walking in there. I was definitely uncomfortable, but because of the size, while the place was definitely busy, it didn't feel like it.

Anyway, I'm back to working out semi-regularly. I'd like to get to the point where I'm going 4-5 days a week again, with at least one day taking a spin class. That's where I'd like to maintain once I get back from India.

4 comments:

LoraLoo said...

I drive by that new LVAC on the freeway every night. Holy cow that parking lot is JAMMED every single night. I'm amazed it doesn't feel busier.

Teri said...

That gym looks awesome. Now we only have to get Amy to join it as well :)

New White Keds said...

Keep dreaming Teri :-)Average Joe's is more my speed.

Ken said...

Lora - Same here. I really thought the place was going to feel packed. The only area that was truly packed was the cardio area.

Teri - It is a nice club, but I really don't think that Amy will feel comfortable there. It's a lot of what she hates about big-box health clubs.

Amy - I know you are an Average Joe's girl. That's part of why I love you so much.