Monday, January 30, 2006

Be careful what you wish for

I used this line a couple of times today, and figured it was a good starting point for a blog entry.

First, I maintain that while the United States states that we want democracy and self-determination everywhere, it is generally appended with "as long as our interests are served." This is especially true in emerging economies and the Middle East. Recent elections in Egypt, the Palestinian territories and Bolivia should be a reminder of this. Don't get me wrong - I am for movements towards freedom and democracy. I applaud it. Just don't be surprised if they don't approve of your policies and call you on it.

Second, my company is in the process of bidding on a very large potential client. While everyone wants their name and the additional revenue, they don't care if you make money at it. Not exactly a win-win.

No comments: