Friday, April 07, 2006

Commercial vs. Non-Commercial Radio

This morning, I was once again reminded why I hate commercial radio. More specifically, why I hate a specific morning show. Anyway, as I listened to the mundane details of why someone was annoyed because they drank out of the wrong water bottle and the commotion that surrounded it, I had to control myself from screaming. If it wasn't the alarm clock too, it could have founds itself punted down the block. This is a station that I have had many frustrations with, but I can usually deal because Amy likes listening to them in the morning while she gets ready for work.

In the past, I've used public radio as my escape. That was helpful at drive time, but I didn't get to hear much music (not that you do on commercial radio these days either, but still). I decided this year to pledge some money to the local public radio station because I find they provide a valueable service.

I've since added satellite radio to my line up and that rocks. I'm going to have to find some new stations as one of the ones I listen to regularly is about to add commercials, but XM is creating a commercial-free alternative for that station, so it'll work.

I'm I alone in being fed up with commercial radio? I supposed not, but would like to hear some thoughts from you all out there.

4 comments:

Darryll said...

I have to agree for the most part that commercial radio can be that of a pain. I also have XM and love just the option to hear music all the time commercial-free. Listening to the local Shredd and Regan show on the morning drive, I seem to be able to tolerate their commercial selection.

LoraLoo said...

I haven't listened to public or commercial radio in like 3 years. There's no going back!

Teri said...

I get annoyed with mix 94.1 as well. When I heard that stupid water bottle thing I just turned the station. I can't stand 20 minutes of stupid talk, followed by 2 songs in a row. I like to listen to music in the mroning, not some annoying dj or commericals. I have not installed the xm in my car yet, so I just flip stations until I hear a song that I want to hear.

Ken said...

Darryll - Shredd and Regan ain't bad. Except for how much they faun over the Goo Goo Dolls, but that part of the deal in Buffalo I think - always looking for a connection to the big time.

Lora - I'm with ya!

Teri - We need to get that Roady installed in your car. We'll make that happen once you are back in town and in between moves.