Saturday, December 24, 2005

Let's Go Buffalo!

One of my trials in life is that of being a Buffalo sports fan in all sports but baseball. Since Buffalo doesn't have a Major League team, I'm an Oakland A's fan. That doesn't make it much better. 2005 has been quite the wild ride. The A's weren't supposed to do much of anything after trading away two of their best pitchers, and after being 15 games below .500 at the end of May, that they were able to compete for the division was something amazing.

The Bills were supposed to contend for the AFC East, at least contend for a Wild Card. They are sitting at 4-10, completely out of playoff contention and now playing for a better draft pick. I know their vaunted defense and questionable offensive line has taken more than their fair share of injuries, but good teams overcome injuries.

The Sabres were getting crucified in the local press before the start of the season. They didn't make enough "big" moves during the offseason in the "New NHL." However, with the team they did put together, they have the second best record in the Eastern Conference and are playing better than I've seen them play in years. Plus, I get to listen to a few games on XM Radio this year.

Last but not least, I can't forget alma mater. The Canisius Golden Griffins may very well have THE best mascot in sports, and certainly the most original and one that stands up to the political correctness test. They were picked to contend for the MAAC championship in men's basketball this year. They were picked for ESPN's "Bracket Buster Saturday" later this winter. However, they can't seem to buy a win. They are already starting to get into conference play and while they are 1-1, their inability to win non-conference games is disturbing to say the least.

Looks like I'm in for another long winter. Oh well, I'll still be there routing for my teams. I can't help it - it's in my blood.

4 comments:

Darryll said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Darryll said...

Sabres all the way!!! Next season we get the blue and gold back...gonna need to buy a new jersey again.

Teri said...

Amy is a better woman than me.. Thank God I only really have to deal with football season. Lloyd likes other sports, but he doesn't obsess like he does with football.

Ken said...

Amy is pretty cool. She's there at the bar nearly every Sunday. Pretty cool. I like baseball and hockey, but mostly follow them through either the internet or on the radio. Too many games to plan around, so I don't.