Monday, January 23, 2006

Movin' right along

OK. Dave is moved into the Durango house, and he hasn't seen the new house yet. I took him up to the Eiderdown house to show him our lot and walk him through the model. When we drove by the lot, they were framing the house. It's beginning to come to life. Very cool. We walked into the sales office on our way to the model and Casey was talking to who I thought was a potential sale. I went to contribute my two cents, only to find out she worked for Richmond American and was out doing competitive research since her sales office was without power.

Turns out that the development she is selling is offering three story houses. They ranged from 1450 to 1700 square feet with two car garages. The houses also offer a small backyard. They can fit 15 houses on an acre. While I'm sure they look very nice but it struck me how Amy and I made the right decision to buy our house now. New construction single story houses with any sort of land are going to become a thing of the past in any sort of affordable price range. The lady from Richmond American said it's the only way in this town to keep the base price under $300K. Casey told us that even Pulte is going to build three story houses in the not so distant future.

As a quick tangent though, who said that $300K is really affordable? A young couple just starting out these days could barely afford that.

Needless to say, I feel this bodes well for Amy and I. As the price of land out here continues to increase with each BLM auction, single story houses in gated communities with pools will be in high demand. Brian wasn't wrong.

4 comments:

LoraLoo said...

Okay this depressed me. I'm so not ready to sell but I guess we're going to have to... we are going to be in the market for exactly that, a single story house (but not the starter house kind). Damn.

Unknown said...

I am sooooo glad that Teri and I jumped into our house when we did 3 years ago. We are looking soooo prescient.

Teri said...

That is what I am worried about when I transfer to a new school. The one school by Kohls is surrounded by the 15 houses per acre home. Which means tons and tons of kids. I have seen those houses and they look like dominos. They also all seem like they are leaning. hmm scary..

Ken said...

Lora - Sorry! I didn't mean to depress you, but it's possible most of the drastic increases are about a year off. I hear you are talking to a realtor. Hopefully they can give you some guidance.

DG - Yeah. You guys are definitely sitting pretty. Not sure Amy and I are even close to be ready for that size house, but it would be nice to be sitting on that land. I'm kicking myself for not buying sooner. I could have afforded a single family home before things went crazy.

Teri - I understand your concern, and I wouldn't count on the city and county to have been smart and mandating an extra school or so given the density.