Monday, January 02, 2006

Mom and Dad Update

It's been a while since I've posted an update about my folks. I think they have two or three boxes left to unpack, but other than that they are settled in their house.

They have made it through their first holiday season away from Buffalo. It was a little rough on them. While they were able to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas with me, they missed out on seeing my sister for Thanksgiving and I know they miss my aunt and uncle. However, they do really like the weather out here. My Mom has taken great pleasure in telling her friends and family back east about the milder weather we are experiencing.

I honestly think this is the most time that they have spent together in a very long time. They are around each other nearly 24x7. I think they are both going a little stir crazy. Mom needs to have her gall bladder out, but after that she's going to find herself a job and that should help. I tell them they should get involved in church and the like so they at least start meeting other people. They've already been to a couple of HOA meetings, so they are getting to know their neighbors.

Minx has survived the trip, the move and the unpacking. Mom and Dad originally want to name her Trouble, but switched to Minx. However, they should have stuck with that first name. She is into nearly everything. Mind you, she's still basically a kitten, so she's curious. One of her favorite resting spots is on top of the kitchen cabinets. That's quite the sight to see. Minx rarely lets Mom read the paper in peace. We were showing them our pool plans yesterday and Minx decided that is where she wanted to rest. Pretty funny actually.

Both of them have welcomed Amy into our family, and Mom and Leni are developing quite the relationship. Needless to say, I think Mom and Dad just might make it after all...

2 comments:

Teri said...

It is a big adjustment moving from Buffalo to here, but it seems they are doing a pretty good job with it. We really should hook your mom and my mother in law up with the church thing. My mother in law goes to Our Lady and sometimes to St. Anne in Summerlin. I am sure she would like the company for the drive. They only live 5 minutes from each other.

Ken said...

I agree. I was talking to Mom last night. While she can't wait to get a job, I told her she needs to start meeting people so they make friends and have people to do things with. I think making the connection with your Mother in Law is a good idea.